Tuesday, January 20, 2015

The Ride Home

Hey baby girl. I'm lying here on the couch as you sleep on my chest. I swear I could lie here forever!! Your perfect baby smell, the weird baby noises you make, your baby soft hair touching my face; It all make me deaf to Juno crying because she wants to go outside. (Why the hell has no one walked her?)

Anyway. You had a few visitors this week and you also went to Brooklyn to meet your great grandma. My uncle Elvis was one of the visitors you had and o was happy he came to see you. He always has stories that I look forward to hearing. 

He was telling me about the day he and my parents brought me home from the hospital after I was born. He told me how it was the longest ride home ever. (Keep in mind I was born in Lincoln hospital and it's literally 10 minutes from where we lived at the time.) Uncle Elvis told me that it was a long trip because my dad wouldn't drive any faster than a few miles per hour. He remembered as he told the story "I realized" he said "This is a fathers love. He may not be the most talkative person in the world but him driving so slow was what told me that he was already being protective of you"

I thought it was amazing! I didn't know that story, but believe me I could easily relate. He was 27 when he had me, (his first born) 27 years later I was coming home with my first born driving just as slow as he did in the story. Lol. 
The speed limit is 25mph now but on average people still drive anywhere between 35-40mph and I'm no exception, but on Tuesday, December 30th when we brought you home  from the hospital, I not only said my usual prayer for traveling mercy and proceeded to drive home from Manhattan to the Bronx doing close to 20mph. Ha! Some asshole African cab driver (don't say asshole--that's a daddy word) even honked his horn at me as if I was inconveniencing him driving at 18-25mph with my hazards on. Lol. I didn't care. There was. I traffic. He had all the room in the world to go around me. Anyway. I got you home safe and in one piece. Funny how history repeats itself. How nature brings things full circle. My father and I, both at 27 experiencing fatherhood for the first time and thinking to ourselves: "Drive slow man. No need to hurry. It's more important to get this baby home safe than to get it home fast" lol. 

I just loved the story and had to share it with you! 

I love you baby, your mommy has arrived with my White Castle burgers and that means I'm putting you in your rocker til I'm done. 
Lolol. 

FFZ.

No comments:

Post a Comment